Farm Manager, Boulder Knoll Community Farm, Cheshire, CT
The Farm Manager manages and implements all phases of production, maintenance, harvest and distribution of vegetables to CSA members and local food charities. The farmer reports to the board of directors regarding budget and output, and is autonomous with respect to crop production. The farmer is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of machinery, tools and structures on the farm. The farmer communicates via email weekly with CSA members and provides a welcoming educational experience for CSA members to contribute to farm work including harvest and distribution. Farmer will provide guidance and education to CSA members when they are working at the farm. This position is full time from March – November (nine months).
About the farm:
- Approximately 2 acres under cultivation with potential additional land available
- Two 72’ high tunnels
- Irrigation from a deep well, spigots throughout growing area, and drip lines
- Hoop house style distribution shed
- Rough wash and prep station
- Tool sheds stocked with hand tools
- Soil with excellent structure and good organic matter
- Lawn tractor/ trailer for mowing and hauling
- Excellent member participation
- Loyal CSA customer base
- Reasonable budget for seeds, supplies and tools
IDEAL CANIDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- – Commitment to maintaining organic, sustainable farming standards.
- – 3-5 years organic farming experience including farm management and CSA program.
- – flexibility and resourcefulness
- – experience with and ability to supervise workers of various skill levels including children
- – mature communication and interpersonal skills
- – self-motivated and self-managing
- – experience with and ability to work with a variety of people of all ages
The Farm Manager will work for FOBK as an independent contractor. Workers Compensation will be provided. Compensation is $24,000-26,000 with no employee benefits, and no taxes will be withheld.
Friends of Boulder Knoll (FOBK) is a community based non-profit corporation founded in 2006 on a belief in sustainable agriculture and sustainable communities. We work to involve local people of all ages, abilities, and experience levels in working on, understanding, enjoying and benefiting from the land and natural resources. A Board of Directors made up of individuals who share these beliefs guides the corporation and provides significant operational support. We operate a small scale, environmentally sustainable farm, Boulder Knoll Community Farm (BKCF) in Cheshire, CT which provides healthy, local produce to community supported agriculture shareholders as well as our neighbors in need.
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 references to dgroberg@